Neighbourhood Watch is a proven Police and community partnership introduced to help control the crime rate, especially burglary and theft.
Even if you are living on your own and feeling isolated, or a young person looking to make some friends, New Norfolk Neighbourhood Watch can help you connect with like-minded people and find a voice.
Our aims are to empower the community of New Norfolk to:
Identify, understand and address issues that affect our local community safety
Learn more about practical ways to improve personal and home security
Improve crime knowledge, prevention, detection and reporting
Promote community well-being and increased feelings of safety
Improve community harmony by increasing communication and collaboration
Okay so what can you do now?
Have you noticed any suspicious behaviour lately? . . . incidents, events, people or circumstances that seem unusual or out of place . . . such as:
- Someone carrying property e.g. electronic equipment, office equipment, a locked bike, at an unusual time or location
- Someone going door to door without appropriate identification
- A vehicle cruising the street repeatedly
- Someone forcing their way into a locked vehicle
- Different people buying something from a vehicle
- Lots of traffic going to and from a house every day
- One or more people sitting in a car checking out the street
- Someone being forced into a vehicle
- Someone showing unusual mental or physical symptoms. They might have been in an accident or need other medical or physical help
- Unusual noises like alarms, gunshots, yelling, fighting sounds, dogs barking non-stop
What do you do?
- Stay calm and breathe
- Think about the date, time and where the incident is happening
- Call the Police on 000 in an emergency, or 131 444
- Answer the questions that you are asked (you can be anonymous, you don’t have to give them your name)
- Tell them what is happening
- Stay on the phone
- If it’s safe, keep watching and report what is happening
- Take photos with your phone only if it is safe
- Do not approach the person directly