New Norfolk Neighbourhood Watch

Dealing with noisy neighbours

Noise is a very common cause of disputes between neighbours.  

Whether it’s noise from the apartment above you or the house next door, it’s something that’s part of the drama of daily life and you have to find ways to manage it, rather than go crazy with the stress of it all.

Try to sort the problem out with your neighbour before going to the police or council.  Think about the best way to raise the issue with them. Be constructive and suggest ways to solve the problem, rather than just complaining, blaming them or demanding they keep the noise down.

Pick a time when your neighbour won’t be too busy.  Stay calm and explain how the problem is affecting you.  Give your neighbour a chance to tell their side of the story and try working on a resolution together. Relationships Australia (Tasmania) offers a low-cost mediation service for neighbours. 

Although it’s often best to talk to them face to face, if you’re worried and unsure how they will react you can always write to them stating the problem. Keep your correspondence and any communication polite. Remember, “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar”.

Sometimes there is just no way to resolve such issues, so complaints should be directed to the Environmental Health Officer at your council.  Police are best placed to respond to late night noise such as parties, or issues where the noisy neighbour might also be threatening. Call them on 131 444 if the noise is non urgent or not related to violence. The Police have the right to order the offenders to cease making the noise, and can issue infringement notices on the spot. 

Call 000 if the noise you are hearing is about domestic (or other) violence, or if it’s about a party that is getting out of control.

Like this article? Share on Social Media