New Norfolk Neighbourhood Watch

Wake up to fire risk

In past articles we have chatted about fire risks around the home, including the most common causes of fire such as accidents in the kitchen, and the use of heaters and personal heating equipment such as wheat bags.  The fourth most common cause of fires are cigarettes, candles and oil burners.

We are reminded to take extra care with these items by doing the following:

  • Do not smoke in bed.
  • Dampen cigarette butts before putting them in the rubbish.
  • Use a child resistant lighter.
  • Butt out in a deep-sided ashtray or metal container filled with sand.
  • Store matches and lighters out of children’s sight and out of their reach.
  • Make sure your candles are on properly designed candle holders.
  • Don’t go to sleep when a candle or oil burner is alight.
  • Do not put candles or oil burners near windows – curtains can catch alight easily.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

Project Wake Up! is a program aimed at improving fire safety in the homes of the aged and people with disabilities, through free home fire safety checks.

Participants in this program are identified by health care organisations such as Community Nursing groups, or your own GP.

These organisations and doctors submit referral details to the Community Education Unit, and at the beginning of every month, Brigades are sent a list of people who require a home fire safety check. The Brigade contacts each participant on the list to arrange a suitable time to visit. Firefighters then call on the participant and conduct a free home fire safety check and install smoke alarms if necessary.

For further information go to:

Like this article? Share on Social Media